Subbiah Dharmanidhi was founded in 1934 by the boundless munificence of Sri. AR.A.Subbiah Nadar (1871-1943) realized that emancipation of women was crucial in the progress of society and perceived education as a means to achieve it. Hence in 1937 Subbiah Vidyalayam named after the founder of the trust was established to cater to the educational upliftment of girls in and around Thoothukudi. It was started with the lofty ideal of making them responsible and valuable makers of the nation. The next Managing Trustee Sri.AR.A.S.Arumugasamy Nadar along with his younger brothers Sri.AR.A.S.Duraisamy Nadar and Sri.S.Natarajan toiled to build up the institution to reach its crescendo.
Sri.D.Shenbagamurthi who assumed office as managing trustee in 1968 devoted his life for the cause of providing a liberal education system. Sri.S.Natarajan during his tenure as Secretary constructed the indoor auditorium named after his nephew late Sri.D.Natesan in 1965. Sri.N.Rajagopalan as Secretary worked hard in improving the quality of teaching and brought in the progressive development of the school. Sri.N.Subbiah was instrumental in constructing a two-storeyed concrete building, a cycle shed and a basketball court. Improvement, achievement and success will be meaningless words without continual growth. The next managing trustee Mr. D.Ganesan had been the pivotal pin of the grand wheel in expediting the school to its current scenario with the existing infrastructure and facilities as a result of two decades of his planning and execution. From the academic year 2018-2019 the young enthusiastic and efficient aspirant Mr.R. Murali Ganesan, the fourth generation successor of the family, has assumed office as Secretary with innovative objectives.